Date & Location
Sep 04, 2021, 8:00 AM PDT – Sep 06, 2021, 5:30 PM PDT
Professional Boundaries | 36 CME
This Professional Boundaries course has been approved by the Medical Board of California and is designed for professionals, including physicians, attorneys, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants who want to improve their understanding of the social, institutional, professional, and legal standards for professional behavior in the workplace. This course will look at the federal and state laws that apply to professional boundaries and examine the consequences of violating these laws. The course will also discuss the societal challenges and vulnerabilities facing physicians and help practitioners develop a plan of action to behave professionally even in the presence of challenges and vulnerabilities.
At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be better able to:
· Articulate the professional standards of practice and codes of ethics that apply to professional medical behavior
· Recognize the professional, institutional, and societal challenges facing physicians
· Identify federal and state laws that apply to professional medical conduct
· Distinguish between boundary crossings and boundary violations
· Identify conflicts of interest to avoid them
· Assess the role of social media to protect yourself
· Evaluate physician risk factors and vulnerabilities for boundary violations
· Understand the role of sexuality in professional behavior
· Integrate the professional duties and responsibilities of physicians into practice
· Develop a plan to reduce and eliminate risk factors and vulnerabilities for boundary violations
· Employ the best behavioral practices for physicians
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the University of California, Irvine School of Medicine and the Academy of Ethics & Legal Medicine. The University of California, Irvine School of Medicine is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of California, Irvine School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 36 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Doctors and Attorneys
Nurses, NPs and PAs
Interns and Residents